In the course of my career in B2B lead generation, I've often wondered when exactly is the best time to call on sales prospects. From my own experience, I have a gut feeling, but have long yearned for hard facts.
So I decided to find some facts. I've read a few blogs on the subject of when is the best time to call a prospect. Some cite a study by InsideSales.com headed by MIT's Dr. James Oldroyd - pretty credible stuff. They analyzed 3 years of data across six companies that generate and respond to web leads, from 15,000+ leads and 100,000+ phone call attempts.
All to answer the question:
When should companies call web-generated leads for optimal contact and qualification ratios?
Here are some data points from that study:
- It seems that the best days to follow up on web leads are Wednesdays and Thursdays.
- The best times to catch someone in the office are at the beginning and end of the day; specifically, between 8-10AM and 4-6PM.
- The most statistically significant revelation is that you increase your chances of reaching/qualifying a web lead 6 TIMES OVER if you call in the first hour of them submitting their information.
This data, keep in mind, is for INBOUND web leads only.
I decided to pull Vendere Partners data from our own sales prospecting efforts, which represents 7,700+ touches and a mix of (1) response on inbound leads, and (2) outbound B2B appointment setting:
Our data seems to corroborate much of the "web lead only" figures. Here's a few points of note from our data set:
- Wednesdays and Thursdays are indeed the best days to prospect.
- As it pertains to our calling efforts, for one reason or another, early morning proves NOT to be a great time for prospect calls. This is strange because my anecdotal experience tells me otherwise. What about you?
- In addition to the traditionally "hot calling times" of early in the morning and late in the afternoon, we would also add that lunch time is a great time to call also.
What has been your experience with calling times? Please comment!
Happy hunting - and make sure you're hunting at the right time!