I just sat in on a webinar about SEO implications of Google Instant from webmarketing123. Apparently, the lead generation and SEO blogosphere is going nuts with the implications of Google Instant. I've read everything from, "It's the death of SEO." to "It won't affect anything." The truth is that it probably falls closer to the latter, but there are some key changes that you want to be aware of when executing your SEO strategy.
Google worked tirelessly on Google Instant, so it's not likely to go away. It affects user experience in two main ways:
- Google "guesses" what you mean as you enter a search term
- Google displays search results in real time as you continue entering your query or scroll through potential search terms
Google says that this decreases the amount of time required to search:
This is going to have an effect on SEO. Why wouldn't it? Here are a few tips on how to make minor adjustments to your overall SEO strategy that might show returns in the long run:
- Long tail keywords become less important. Just how much less, we don't know. It's important to know that the long tail keywords will still attract a more relevant audience. But it is certain that the keywords you should optimize for are those that come up as you type your head term. So, for instance, if you were in the business of server virtualization, you would focus more on the suggested search terms that will likely see a ton more impressions. To see what I mean, go to this Google search and put a space after "server virtualization." The terms below should become a prime focus.
- While your page ranking should be where it always has been for certain search terms, your traffic might see a bit of a dip in traffic. Monitor it closely and find out if your traffic is affected and on which search terms it is most affected. Expect a fluctuation on long tail terms.
- Keep putting out great content that people want to look at. The butterfly effect in SEO is most evident when Google makes a move, or a change to the algorithm. The fact is though, that regardless of what Google does, there will always be value in putting out authoritative content that people like to read, link to, chatter about, etc. Keep the goods coming.
Vendere Partners, as a premier outsourced lead generation company, likes to stay on the bleeding edge of all things marketing. We invite you to connect with us and keep up with the chatter.